Green construction involves the design, construction and/or operation of buildings in ways that reduce any harmful impact on the environment and/or on human health. Some of these include:
- Reducing the carbon footprint of manufacture.
- Reducing the carbon footprint of materials transportation.
- Reducing habitat loss.
- Preserving and/or improving air and water quality.
- Reducing materials waste.
- Minimizing toxic emissions.
- Increasing energy efficiency in building operations.
Sustainable building also can be economically beneficial. Using green materials and practices often benefits local economies, and the focus on energy efficiency frequently results in significant savings for property owners. The following infographic highlights 10 green building materials to consider for your next green building project.